REST IN PEACE TO THE LEGEND
By now you have heard Tina Turner has passed away Wednesday (May 24) peacefully at her home in Switzerland. Social media delivered the news saying “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Tina Turner,” “With her music and her boundless passion for life, she enchanted millions of fans around the world and inspired the stars of tomorrow. Today we say goodbye to a dear friend who leaves us all her greatest work: her music. All our heartfelt compassion goes out to her family. Tina, we will miss you dearly.” She was in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I felt inclined to find some facts about her that you might not have known about the entertainer.
1. Did you know she was a Fat Joe fan?
Yes, it's true, one of Fat Joe's reps got in touch with Tina Turner to ask for permission of clearing a sample for her hit “What’s Love Got to Do With It” and she immediately said "Wait who’s it for “FATJOE”??? absolutely she loves him!!" So that was a win for Fat Joe. Fat Joe also took a moment to share a heartfelt tribute to the late singer, remembering how she cleared a sample of her huge hit for him. “‘She doesn’t clear her music’!!!! Thank you for all the inspiration we love you RIP Legend.
2. Tina Turner “always” had a crush on Mick Jagger. Even up to a month before her death, the legendary Tina Turner who gave stunning performances always had "rock group" vibes for her performances. Jagger and Turner shared the stage a handful of times, Mick Jagger even ripped off her skirt onstage before, believe it or not!
3. Tina Turner had 12 total Grammy Awards, eight competitive awards, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
4. Tina Turner's youngest son, Ron, died at 62 from colon cancer complications only six months ago.
5. Tina Turner's eldest son from a previous relationship, Craig, died by suicide in July 2018 at age 59.
6. Tina Turner's documentary which was released in 2021, was considered a goodbye to her fans. “This [film] is her way of saying to the world once and for all, ‘These are the pieces [of my story] that I’m leaving. Now let me go,’ ” her rep said, that's why we haven't seen her, and she relocated to Switzerland.
7. Tina Turner suffered a string of illnesses later in her life, including a stroke and cancer, as well as kidney failure.
8. Ike Turner and Tina Turner met at a nightclub in St. Louis and he would beat her on the regular and have sex with her almost immediately after, Turner attempted to commit suicide to escape their relationship. Tina Turner had four kids, including two sons she adopted that was from Ike Turner’s previous relationship.
9. Tina Turner's mother did not like her and did not accept her success and both of her parents left her at an early age.
“I was happy to show my mother what I did. I had a house, I had got a car, and she said, ‘No, I don’t believe it. No, you’re my daughter, no you didn’t!’ “She didn’t want me, she didn’t want to be around me, even though she wanted my success. But I did for her as if she loved me.”
10. Tina Turner actually hated one of her most famous songs, “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” when she first heard it. “I was rock and roll. … This was a pop song.” It made No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart — her first and only.
11. Tina Turner met her husband and music producer, Erwin Bach, and married him in 2013.
REST IN PEACE TO TINA TURNER. YOU HAD A BEAUTIFUL AWAKENED ENERGY AND YOU WERE A BLACK, PROUD, ROCK N ROLL ARTIST WITH SOUL AND GAVE US A LOT TO BE PROUD OF.